LetterPress with We R Memory Keepers Letterpress Products;
You only need:
- We R Memory Keepers Letterpress Platform Kit/ Or L Base Plate
- Letterpress Design Printing Plates
- Letterpress Ink (optional if you want to add colour to the impression)
- Letterpress Paper
- Die-Cut /Roll Press Machine
Quick steps to Letterpress using We R Memory Keepers Letterpress Starter Kit
- Ink the printing plate evenly with the brayer tool.
- Open the L Letterpress Base and place an adhesive-backed printing plate on the clear lid.
- Ink the printing plate evenly with the brayer tool.
- Place paper in desired location on base of letterpress tool. Use registration grid and Paper Placement Guides for greater accuracy and alignment.
- Close lid and roll L Letterpress through either one of the following die-cutting machines. (fits in most leading brands) Cuttlebug Provo Craft /Cricut Cuttlebug, Sizzix Big Shot, Sizzix Vagabond, E-bosser, Epic Tool, GoCut
- For a deeper impression, add additional packing sheets. (kindly note letterpress is not cutting it is only de-bossing & printing plates)
See Some Ideas & Video Below:
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I use the L Letterpress from Lifestyle Crafts?
- Open the letterpress plate you get in the Letterpress Platform Kit, item code L-LP-START and place an adhesive-backed printing plate on the clear lid. BUY HERE
- Ink the printing plate evenly with the brayer tool included in the Starter Kit. Various ink colors available!
- Place paper in desired location on base of your letterpress tool. (Use the registration grid and Paper Placement Guides for easy and greater accuracy and alignment.)
- Close lid and roll letterpress through your die-cutting machine (For a deeper impression, add additional packing sheets. One sheet comes with the kit but simply use plain white printed paper if additional packing is necessary.)
How do I prep the printing plate?
- Remove the liner from the double-sided adhesive sheet on one side only.
- Place printing plate on sticky side of adhesive sheet.
- Use a pair of scissors to cut around the edge of the printing plate.
- When done it is ready to use, remove the liner from the back of printing plate and stick plate on clear lid of the L Letterpress tool.
How do I apply the ink?
- Place a small amount of ink on ink base.
- Roll brayer tool through ink until evenly coated.
- Roll brayer lightly over printing plates until evenly coated.
*IMPORTANT NOTE - Very little ink is needed to achieve a quality print. If projects are not drying well, there may be too much ink on the plates.
How do I create custom colors?
- Mix inks using the palette knife found in the Accessory Tool Kit to create a myriad of eye-catching colors.
How do I clean off the ink?
- Ink can be removed from ink base, brayer and plates with L Cleaning Cloths or Cleaning Spray.
How do I position the plate?
- Very easily place the adhesive-backed printing plate in desired location on clear L Letterpress lid.
- Establish where paper should go on clear packing of L Letterpress base and stick placement guides next to paper to hold in place.
- With guides in place, easily place paper in the exact location for multiple prints of one design.
How do I change the depth of the impression?
- The depth of impression of the printing plate can be adjusted by adding or removing packing sheets. One packing sheet comes with the L letterpress tool. Simply use plain white printing paper (like Typek) if additional packing is necessary.
- To achieve a deeper impression, add additional sheets of paper below the clear packing mat on the L Letterpress base. To reduce the depth of impression, simply remove some sheets. It will depend on the thickness of the paper you are printing on.
If maybe the printed impression is not as crisp as desired, try removing packing sheets or make sure you’re using the correct inking technique.
Can I use other types of ink with my L Letterpress?
Preferable not as the L Letterpress Ink has a specially formulated tacky texture, which will give your design a crisp and clean impression. Other inks are often water-based and may run beyond the line of your de-bossed image.
Can I use any type of paper with my letterpress projects?
Letter pressing is characterised by its impression on soft, thick paper. Our L Letterpress paper was created to give you the best possible impression. If you are looking for an alternative use at least a 330gsm thick cotton-based paper. Though other papers may reflect your design, it may not have the same deep impression into the paper which defines the letterpress style.
Can I use any type of cleaning cloths?
The L Letterpress Cleaning Cloth & Cleaning spray is best able to remove the thick, tacky, oil-based ink from both the ink base and the printing plate. Though other cleaning cloths will not hurt the product, they will not clean as thoroughly.
How long does my finished project take to dry?
Very quick. Your finished project should completely dry within just a few minutes from when it was pressed.
Can I use embossing folders with the L Letterpress?
The L Letterpress was not designed for use with embossing folders. Typical letterpress projects show an impression on only one side of the paper. If you use embossing folders, the impression will be visible on both sides of the paper. You can however use the lifestyle letterpress ink with the INK-IT die’s from Sizzix as they are also designed for Letterpress, and gives a beautiful print & impression. See HERE
How to Die Cut with Lifestyle Cutting Dies (only cutting not letterpress)